From the Diocesan Director of Education
I am delighted to present to you our 4th SLA booklet.
Yet again over 90% of you joined the SLA and the feedback that you have given to us is that our continued development is meeting your needs in an ever changing arena. Particularly popular additions last year were the offer of Head teacher performance Management and Schools Improvement Partner and we have had excellent feedback from this work. We have now further increased our capacity to ensure that we can continue to offer all of these services.
Our heads’ focus group (let us know if you’d be interested in joining) has been central to this year’s offer. You will see that we arrange training for:
- Teachers new to church schools
- RE subject leaders
- New and aspiring headteachers
- Senior leaders in schools
- Literacy and numeracy leads
- All types of governors
- Collective worship coordinators
- SMSC leaders
- Bishop’s Visitors
The second wave of Understanding Christianity will begin next month (each entails a full day, two twilight and one morning session) and the third is due in September 2017. Special “Touch Base” sessions for those who have completed the training become available from September too.
The traditional day for new headteachers has been extended across three separate days spread through the year. This will enable us to cover more material and in more depth – as requested by attendees. More established school leaders might like to pick up a day or two as refresher courses.
The programme is led by the Diocesan Education Team alongside excellent practitioners from schools. This year’s new courses include Sex and Relationship Education in a Church School and Governor Roles and Responsibilities. Our presenters include speakers such as Phyllida Hancock of Contender Charlie (Annual Conference for Headteachers and Chairs of Governors) and Mike Simmonds (Annual Governors’ Conference).
Prices for courses and conferences (but not the Cathedral Celebration Events) have been held this year!!!
The Diocesan Education team also continues to provide bespoke and school based sessions. Whole day, half day or twilight sessions are available on a topic of your choice for staff and /or governors. Talk to us about your ideas, or browse through the suggestions on the School Based Services pages 10 to 15.
Lastly, thank you for all that you do to serve your pupils, all twenty seven and a half thousand of them, and their communities. It is a privilege to be able to support you in that work.
Director of Education
Download SLA document HERE
Basic Services included in the Diocesan SLA
- A named adviser on the Diocesan Education Team to act as the school’s first point of contact.
- An annual visit from a Diocesan Adviser or Associate Adviser to celebrate strengths and provide guidance and support in relation to Christian distinctiveness and educational performance – followed up with a written report.
- Access to the DBE Specialist Advisers at the reduced SLA rate (pages 38 to 40)
- Free loan of resources (subject to availability) for Collective Worship, Godly Play and RE
- Access to Additional Services including Bespoke and School Based training at the reduced SLA rate (see pages 10 to 15).
- Signposting service providing school-to-school support in a range of areas including Ofsted and SIAMS inspections
- Priority attendance of a Diocesan Education Officer or Director of the Board at celebration events
- Telephone and email advice in relation to School Improvement, RE, SIAMS, Ofsted, Collective Worship, Christian Distinctiveness, Buildings, Governance and Church School Leadership. There will be no charge for 'one-off' 30 minutes communications. More complex advice requiring more than 30 minutes of adviser time will be chargeable at the reduced SLA rate
- Free promotion of school vacancies on Diocesan website
- Free promotion of school’s successes in Diocesan Education News and RE News (material provided by the school)